The Great Trans-Continental Railroad Guide, just published by George A. Crofutt & Co., Chicago, for the use and information of travelers over the big railroad, in its descriptive sketches of the various towns, cities and points of interest along the route or in the vicinity of it, thus speaks of Gold Hill: "Two miles from Virginia City is Gold Hill, also a flourishing mining town. It consists, mostly, of one main street, being built along a ravine. One can hardly tell when he leaves Virginia and enters Gold Hill, they are so closely connected. The place contains about 5,000 inhabitants, and one daily newspaper, the Gold Hill News, published by P. Lynch, a well known journalist. The mines of Gold Hill are, as the name indicates, gold bearing quartz, while those at Virginia City are silver. The gold mines were discovered in 1857, by Joe Kirby and some others, who commenced mining in Six-mile Canyon where the Ophir works now are and continued working the place with indifferent success until 1859."
Residents hereabouts will realize the above description as being considerably mixed, as well as incorrect. The bullion from the Comstock, either here or at Virginia,is essentially silver, the mines here being no more entitled to be called gold mines than those of Virginia. The gold mines of this section were discovered in Gold Canyon, below the Devil's Gate, as early as the tail of 1850, principally by emigrants from across the Plains, on their way to California. The Ophir works, too, can hardly be considered as in Six-mile Canyon, when they are on the side of Mount Davidson, half a mile or so from that canyon.
Virginia City is described as "a well built town, containing many elegant public and private buildings and a population of 15,000, the larger portion of whom are engaged in mining in the vicinity." It would be extremely difficult to count over 15,000 miners working either in Virginia or Gold Hill.
The writer's description of Steamboat Springs is better. He says: "There are near each other, all having a common source, though different outlets, apparently. They are situated in an alkaline flat, devoid of vegetation, and are very hot, though the temperature viries in different springs. They are sait to possess excellent medical qualities. At times they are quite active, emitting jets of water and clouds of steam - which at a distance tremble the blowing off of steam from a large boiler. The ground around them is soft and treacherous in places, as though it had been thrown up by the springs, and not yet cooled or hardened. It is related that once upon a time, when a party of emigrants, who were tailing across the Plains, arrived, near the springs about camping time, they sent a man ahead - a Dutchman to look our for a suitable place for campingsomewhere water and grass could be obtained. In his search the Dutchman discovered these springs, which happened to be quite at the time and knelt down to take a drink of the cleary, nicelooking water. Just at that instant a jet of spray was thrown out and over the astonished Dutchman. Springing to his feet, he dashed away to the train, Shouting at the top of his voice. "Drive on! Drive on! hell isn't five miles from this place!" the innocent fellow firmly lelieving what he uttered."